Q:What kind of make up and things would you suggest for someone who basically has like no make up?
Here are some basic make up essentials I think you need to start out with:
- Foundation [Liquid, Minerals, or Powder; PP*]
- Translucent setting powder
- Highlighting eyebrow concealer
- Eye brow pencil
- Eye brow filler (pencil, powder, liquid, gel; PP*]
- Eye liner
- Liquid eye liner
- BB Cream
- Lip sticks [gloss, stains, balms; PP*]
- Eye shadows or eye shadow palette
- Brushes + Blender
- Primer [Moisturizer, PP*]
You can find 100% of these items at a drugstore at affordable prices ($12.99 & under). I work at a drugstore cosmetics counter so I’m familiar with a lot of the drugstore make up brands. Unfortunately, a lot of drug store make up, especially foundations, concealers, blushes and BB creams do not go past a ‘sun beige'…and I’m black. For that reason, I buy high end make up like MAC.
If you want to try MAC, I would suggest:
- Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation. You will look like an airbrushed model in a print ad with this on. This stuff is amazing! $27.00
- Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder. This is a setting powder to give your face a shine free matte finish. $25.00
- Studio Finish SPF 30 Concealer. I suggest this for highlighting under eyebrows $18.00
- Pro Longwear concealer- I recommend this for trouble areas. It’s medium-full coverage, so it covers everything in one tiny squirt. $19.00
- Fluidline Brow Gel Creme- I would use this to fill in your eyebrows for that defined brow look. $16.00
- Eye Brows- Perfect for filling in sparse eyebrows and for on the go. No sharpener needed $16.00
I suggest these at Sephora:
- Make up Forever Aqua Brows- $20.00
- Urban Decay Naked 2- $52.00
and these brands:
- Kat V Don
- Anastasia Beverly Hills
If you want to save $$ [and I’m talking $193.00 ^^], I would suggest going to a drugstore like Walgreens, where you can find daily BOGO 50% off items, and purchasing these brands:
- Revlon for foundations, lipsticks, primers and blushes
- Maybelline for mascara, eyeliners, eyebrow pencils and eye shadows
- L’Oreal for concealers, translucent powders, BB cream, mascara
- Milani for eye brow fillers
- ELF for eyebrow fillers, brushes, and eye shadow palettes
Sensitive skin? Almay all the way!
Or go to Ulta for NYX and/or NYC
*PP stands for personal preference
I hope this helps. I’m not a beauty expert but I know a good degree about make up.
What it’s like to be Black in America:
Getting arrested over purchasing a designer belt that you worked for.
But that can’t be right… since black people are poor and can’t afford nice things.